Monday, January 31, 2011

Jeri Chambers

        Almost anyone can say they have been through sad times in their lives, not just any person can say that they have lost their father at the age of 9 and lost their mother to cancer when she was just 28. She was put through quite an ordeal when she was still young and  she kept moving until she finally stayed in Washington State, where she lived until she married her husband. She has had her grandfather die and many pets die since the death of her mother.   This person was Jeri Chambers, she now owns her own surrogacy agency and has a family of 3 kids and a wonderful husband. Jeri has had to live with her parents being dead and her dad not being able to see her grow up, start a family and agency. Managing a family and agency can be a lot of hard work but Jeri finds time to be there for all sporting events and still have time to be there if the kids need help with anything. This person is very influential and unlike others in her family she has made great choices on what to do with her life. Jeri is one that you would want to be like when you grow up. She is a great mother and  wife, and should be respected, honored and loved for the choices she has made and the great impact she has had on everyone around her.

3 comments:

  1. Leanna- It is so true that you never know what stories are inside until you get to know a person. I am still learning this after many years. Sometimes I look at people and think I know something about them because of the way they dress or what food they have in their shopping cart. I love that you are looking beyond the surface to what really makes someone who they are. Keep up the great work!! Jill Ginsberg

    ReplyDelete
  2. Leanna, I wanted to respond and encourage you to continue to reach out to children. The experience just might stay with you throughout your entire life!

    In the 70s, I was a Red Cross volunteer at Doernbecher Hospital. During my visits (two each week, after work), I played with, read to, walked with and talked to these little patients. The children and I often felt strong connections because, rather than poking them with needles, I was there to simply be their friend.

    One little girl (Angela) was in a body cast from the waist down after having been shot in the hip by her mother. During each visit, the first thing I did was to find Angela and spend some time with her. She ALWAYS asked me to give her wagon rides through the ward.

    The day finally arrived when the cast came off. I found Angela sitting on her bed that evening, and I commented on the beautiful maryjanes that had been placed nearby. I asked Angela if she had already worn the shoes. She had not.

    Angela asked me to help her put on the maryjanes. Next, she asked me to help her take a walk, rather than the usual ride, through the ward. When we left her room, the nurses mouths dropped open. Horrified by their reactions, I thought I had done something terribly wrong. Instead, they were thrilled to see Angela's response to me. She had previously refused to cooperate with all of the doctors, nurses and interns. Immediately, several medical personnel were called to observe Angela's progress while the two of us interacted with each other.

    I sometimes wonder what happened to Angela. She was taken away from her mother after her release. I was only 18 at the time, working a minimum-wage job, and was not married or I surely would have taken her into my home!

    I am now 55 years old, and I have never forgotten this dear child. She has helped me get through some difficult times over the years. I have received far more from that experience than I could possibly imagine Angela ever did!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Jill- I am so glad you took the time to read my blog! There will be more stories to come and yes it is true everyone has a stoy waiting to be told!

    Joan- That is an amazing story and I'm so glad you shared it with me!

    ReplyDelete